"Now we must all fear evil men, but there is another evil we must fear most and that is the indifference of good men."
This quote has in many ways affected my life. I have a strong conviction against indifference and strive to always choose to act rather than refrain.
Recently, I've come across a new kind of indifference in my heart. This indifference isn't really new to me or new to this world but rather my awareness, acceptance, and acknowledgement of this growing indifference is new.
In his book, Running With Horses, Eugene Petersen draws his readers into the life of Jeremiah the prophet. When breaking down Jeremiah's increasing angst regarding his sermon to a disobedient and deceptive "pastor" from Israel, Petersen talks of Jeremiah's fear. Jeremiah didn't fear persecution, discomfort, lack of security, or even death. "What he did fear was worship without astonishment, religion without commitment. He feared getting what he wanted and missing what God wanted" (Kindle Location 845).
This really resonated with me. I've grown to learn that my heart has drifted from an appropriate response to the Truth. Missing out on what God has for me used to be my biggest fear. As life's responsibilities have increasingly come upon me, I've found that lack of comfort, financial instability, and other earthly concerns have seemingly taken over my fear landscape.
My prayer is that I will reawaken my fear of indifference regarding God's presence in my life. That I will see the gospel as it truly is and thus respond with nothing less than wholehearted obedience and commitment. I'd challenge you to do the same!
No comments:
Post a Comment