A few years ago, I made the decision to regularly get away from it all-people, facebook, tv, Playstation, work, and daily responsibilities. I decided to call it Soul Retreat.
I'd love to get the chance to go on a Soul Retreat more than once a year; however, with young kids and a wife its kinda hard. Excuses, excuse-I know!
Anyways...I'm convinced that there's a ton of value in getting away from the regular things that covet our time and attention. I don't think that these times in our lives have to be (or even should be) some sort of mountain-top experience where we rededicate (or dedicate for some of us) our lives back to the Lord, or where we commit to some sort of short-lived and unreasonable goal to drastically change some sort of behavior or implement some sort of lifestyle change. On the contrary, I try to avoid these sort of overly feely false commitments and "repentances." The value, I have found, is in the silence.
Silence from all of the things that so easily and rightfully distract us can be so scary. It's hard to be left to nothing but our thoughts, a 66 part story, a pen, a moleskin, our pipe (well not really sad...more...awesome), a tent, some camping food, a nalgene, a backpack, and our self. It's scary because prolonged silence forces us to listen to the first clamor or whisper that we undoubtedly hear. The truth about our weaknesses, strengths, shortcomings, victories, failures, and current condition is revealed easier when life's responsibilities, hobbies, interests, lusts, addictions, and idols are left at home (at least with our best effort).
I guess when I'm saying is that life is just too important and short to simply not have these times. I thinks it's fair to ask that we commit to ourselves that we will "get away" at least once a year. Whether it's for a short hike at a State Park nearby or a more extended camping trip alone in a desolate area. Everyone's circumstances, freedoms, and skills limit what's reasonable and safe when it comes to "getting away." But, no one I've ever known, can't do this at least once a year for at least half a day.
![]() |
| Soul Retreat 2012! |

No comments:
Post a Comment